I finally finished the reticule I was making from the 18th Century silk shading and goldwork design, and I am very pleased with how it turned out!
The original design was taken from Gail Marsh's 18th Century Embroidery Techniques.
I used 2% gold and gilt threads from Mace and Nairn, and LOTS of Paillettes (18th Century for tiny gold plated sequins). I love Paillettes. They are so much classier than sequins!
I also used my lovely Handweavers Studio silks. The fabric was some silk twill I got from Ebay for a quid a metre. I have 36 metres of the stuff, and I use it for all sorts of things. I backed it with white linen to embroider it whech gives it some substance. When making up the bag I flatlined it with cotton drill to help it keep its onion shape. The bag lining is the same gold dupion as the piping.
To make up the bag I followed these excellent instructions.
I looked all over the web for the purse frame, I love the peacocks! I think it came from U handbag too,
but they don't have it any more.
And because it was for Queenortart, there HAD to be piping. I don't quite have her touch with piping, but she liked it anyway.
She chose the onion shape, and I believe it works well with the design.
There was much squee when I presented it to her at consequences.
And it was so simple to make that I beleive more purses and bags may be in my future. In fact I'm considering using the little bird design I posted last to make a spectacle case for the mother in law for xmas.